I have put this list together to help you get things in order for the big move. If you plan on selling the current home you are living in contact your realtor and get estimated days on market for your home. That way you can get your home listed in the right time frame.
3-4 months before the move
- Start researching the new city you are moving to. The most important part of the home search is deciding what city you want to live in. Contact your agent and have them give you detailed information on pricing and neighborhoods.
- Decide what your budget will be for the move. There will be trucks, boxes, storage, movers so it is best to get quotes from the different companies that may save you the most money.
- It is also smart to take inventory of your items. That way if you hire a company to move all your belongings you can keep track if something goes missing.
- Go through the house and get rid of everything you don't want to take with you. Hold a garage sale and give stuff to good will.
1-2 months before the move
- Finalize housing and moving arrangements.
- If you have not closed on your new home then you may need temporary housing until your new home is ready for move in.
- Start packing up all your belongings.
- Take care of your finances.
- Make sure you keep all important documents close by.
- Arrange Travel.